The Golden Fleece has been an inn since Tudor times and is one of the oldest Coaching Inns in England.  This charming Hotel has been visited by royalty and rogues alike serving travellers for nearly four hundred years.

1791 George Blythe purchased the property  to provide "Good stabling and accommodation".    He also bought the adjoining property and enlarged the Inn. In 1815 he took over the Coaching Business and by 1823 directories show that seven coaches a day called at the Fleece. In the heyday of the road, the Hotel kept fifty or sixty horses in its stables to work the coaches alone.  During this period the Newcastle - London and Edinburgh - London vehicles called at The Golden Fleece.

"Picture the scene as the Newcastle to London mail four-in-hand coach galloped into Thirsk market place, hoofs and wheels clattering on the cobbled stones; pole chains jingling, leather creaking, accompanied by the mellow tones of the post horn. The "Whoa mi' beauties!" from the driver as he pulls the ribbons to check his team and bring his coach to a standstill."

1840 Mr William Hall became landlord of The Golden Fleece at the age of 21. He managed the stabling, feeding and grooming of sixty horses as well as handling a large staff, the catering and accommodation.  He was also responsible for the mail and luggage. The market place was always bustling with farmers and tradesmen who frequented the Golden Fleece for food and drink.

"On Monday, the 24th of September, 1855, there was great rejoicing in Thirsk, in consequence of His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge and Sir George O. WombweIl, Bart., of Newburgh Park, passing through the town. Sir W. P. Gallwey, on the part of a deputation of gentlemen from the town and neighbourhood, delivered a short address to His Highness, expressive of their appreciation of His Highness's conduct whilst serving in the late war in the Crimea, and of congratulation to Sir George Wombwell, on his safe return to his home and friends from the war in the east. Having partaken of refreshment at the Fleece Hotel, they proceeded to Newburgh Park, His Royal Highness being the guest of Sir G. O. Wombwell. " Whellan's History of Thirsk (1859)

 
During the twentieth century Trusthouse, later TrustHouse Forte, owned the Golden Fleece.  In 2006 the hotel was purchased by Homfray Hotels.
 

Set in the heart of Herriot Country, The Golden Fleece is ideally placed for exploring the Yorkshire Moors and Dales, areas of unspoilt beauty. Both the locations were used regularly for the filming of Heartbeat and James Herriot.

 
Enjoy England Welcome to Yorkshire
Golden Fleece Hotel
The Golden Fleece Hotel ~Market Place ~Thirsk ~ North Yorkshire ~ YO7 1LL
Tel: +44 (0)1845 523108 Fax: + 44 (0) 1845 523996
EMAIL: reservations@goldenfleecehotel.com